Is a timber home cheaper or more expensive to build than a conventional brick?
There are too many factors involved to make a simple general comparison; each project should therefore be evaluated individually. Clients are however guaranteed that Knysna Timber Homes will always provide them with excellent value for money.
What are the advantages of a Knysna Timber Homes building?
There are very many advantages but some of the most important are:
- Preservation of the environment and low ecolocical impact
- Unlimited design scope
- Speed of erection
- Cleanliness of building sites
- The actual building process is a truly joyous experience for the client.
- The lasting effect of a well designed and constructed building.
Will termites attack the timber structure?
All timber components used by Knysna Timber Homes are preservative treated to comply with relevant SABS standards and termite infestation is therefore eliminated.
Insurance of a Knysna Timber Homes Building?
Knysna Timber Homes has to date no knowledge of excess on the insurance of any of their buildings.
Can I easily secure a bond for a Knysna Timber Homes building?
All major financial institutions will finance a Knysna Timber Homes Building .
Maintenance of a Knysna Timber Homes building?
Maintenance of external paint and varnish finishes is similar to brick and mortar buildings. Timber exterior walls and finishes require marginally more maintenance than painted fibre cement products which compare with plastered brick walls.
How long will my timber building last?
As long as any other well constructed building and in some cases considerably longer than a brick and mortar building.
Will unstable soil conditions affect my building negatively as much as a brick and mortar building?
Definitely not! Knysna Timber Homes buildings are lighter, the foundation and wall construction systems are specifically designed to cope with some form of movement in the structure and are therefore more suitable to unstable soil conditions.
If I have other questions am I able to forward them to Knysna Timber Homes for answering?
With pleasure! Click Here
Why Timber Frame Construction?
- Timber is the only building material derived from a renewable resource. It is considered an agricultural crop that is harvested and replanted in a continually regenerating cycle while nonrenewable resources such as iron ore are mined on a permanently depleting basis. Knysna Timber Homes only uses timber sourced from sustainable forests.
- Timber provides wide-ranging benefits such as carbon sequestration. Since trees capture and store carbon they are currently the most cost effective and readily expandable means of drawing CO2 out of the atmosphere. Even if the tree is cut down, carbon dioxide is still kept out of the atmosphere if the wood is used to make long-life products, such as houses. Moreover, once they are cut, if the acreage is replanted with seedlings, those seedlings will grow much faster, and store more carbon dioxide per year, than the older trees that were cut down.
- Sustainably harvested timber has a lower carbon footprint compared to other building materials such as concrete, brick, ceramic tiles, aluminium and steel. Carbon dioxide emissions, which contribute to global warming, are three times higher for steel than for a comparable quantity of wood.
- Timber as a building material is energy efficient in that it needs less energy (usually sourced from finite fossil fuels) for its industrial production and transformation compared with other building materials. Steel requires three times as much energy as its wood counterpart to extract, manufacture, transport, and construct. While wood accounts for 46 percent of industrial raw materials (by weight) worldwide, it uses only 4 percent of the energy required to process raw materials into useful products.
- Timber is biodegradable and easily recyclable. Even the insulation Knysna Timber Homes uses is polymer from recycled PET bottles and is completely recyclable.
- Timber is a healthy, non-toxic, natural building material.
- Timber is light and therefore easy to transport.
- Gram for gram, wood is the strongest structural material commonly used in building.
- Timber homes are energy efficient. Timber is the best insulator of all structural building materials and, when used together with fiber or foil insulation in a well designed building, minimal external energy is needed to heat and cool the home.
- Timber construction is quick.
- In the case of a fire, timber retains its mechanical properties. Moreover it transmits heat 10 times less quickly than the concrete, and 250 times less quickly than the steel.
- Timber homes create a relaxing living environment. It has been scientifically proven that a kind of terpene substance emitted by wood, which is used for protection against invaders, is effective in relaxing the mind and body. This is the so-called “forest bath” effect. This effect does not change once the tree has been harvested. It continues to provide us with a deeply relaxing environment.
Footnote: The same principals apply for a timber home as for any other home with regard to mortgage applications and insurance.